Monday, January 21, 2013

Snaps from the Ski Trip 2013

So I've learned over the years that I totally suck at taking photos of my Girl Scout outings. I never have a camera when I want one or I miss the action shot or...to be honest I get so involved in what I am doing I just plain forget that I own a camera even though it's hanging from it's handy dandy little strap right around my neck.

So this year I decided to take written snaps! And here you go, my top 30 (or so) moments from the trip in no particular order.

Waking up at 8:30 on Saturday to find the 6th grade girls had cooked breakfast and were laying it out on a lovely little tray! (now if I could just train them to bring me coffee in bed!)

Emma R overhearing my little dream about coffee in bed and volunteering to learn how to make coffee!

The porcupine, bobcat and mule deer tracks in the fresh snow when we arrived at the cabin.

Telling the girls that we needed to be out of the cabin early and suggesting at the Saturday evening meeting that the girls might want to get their snow stuff together for the next morning. (Seriously I actually said "I suggest you might want to...") Then going around a half hour before bedtime to tell them they might want to start gathering their stuff for the next morning only to have them ALL tell me they already did it hours ago...and they actually had ALL done it!!!

The kickfight on the living room floor with Maia, Holly, Emma M, and a couple of the other girls which I joined in. (setting a bad example I know but totally enjoying a moment of pure goofy fun!)

The look on the girls faces when I joined in!

The fact that I could let my guard down and join in without worrying that it would escalate out of control and I'd have to go back to being the barky leader.

Teaching Madeleine how to do a "pizza turn" and watching her posture change as she started at last to feel she had a little bit of control over her skis! (This was one of those moments that makes it ALL worth it!!!)

Having Daisy and Alexandra talk to me in Spanish while Belle talked to me in French and Katie looked at us all like we'd lost our marbles! (I don't speak either French or much Spanish by the way.)

A lot of laughing girls.

Watching Jayme and Yuval come screaming down the terrain park with these HUGE grins on their faces! (and yes I do mean screaming!)

Skiing with Sarah who once again proved herself to be plucky and resilient!

Watching the joy on Emma M's face as she skied for the first time (and did her 400th faceplant) A new substance to smear on her face!!!! She was one happy camper!

Clara: This hot chocolate is cold (with a totally affronted look on her face)
Me: That's because you put cold water in it...you can't blame me for that.
Me: (peeling an egg really badly) Now look what you did to my egg...This is payback for the chocolate isn't it???
Clara: Pause...little grin growing into full fledged impish smile!

Standing at the top of the terrain park with Maia and Allison for their very first time attempting it, totally unsure...and getting to be there for the moment they both decided to go for it!

Running into Ashlyn (Holly's Cousin who was with us for parts of the trip) who had given up on her lesson because it wasn't working for her and she wasn't sure if she ever wanted to ski again. Then getting to see the look of triumph on her face when she came back at the end of the day and she had managed (with the help of her dad) to conquer her fear!!

Me: Madeleine is very cerebral.
  • Kerensa: What is cerebral?
  • Me: It means you need to think about things and understand them before you do them.
  • Leigh (my co-leader): Kind of like you Kerensa
  • (5 minutes and many topics of conversation later)
  • Kerensa: Perhaps I am a bit cerebral.
  • (Leigh laughed so hard she snorted!!!)
  • (Twice!!!)

Seeing Eden, Savannah, Jo, and Emma R head off to ski all by themselves at the top of the mountain! And having them be responsible enough to get back on time for both lunch and the end of the day!! What a long way these girls have come!

Amanda asking me if she could help pretty much every time she saw me.

The girls making up whole other Eskimo lives they were living and making snow bowls, cups, spoons and other utensils....and then ending up making "snow Rubber Duckies for the baths we (Eskimos) don't take" and "snow Heart Shaped Bowls for Valentine's Day which we don't celebrate."

Claire and her crew working so well together.

Lynn telling me she always does something that is a bit scary on my trips and she's always glad she did it!

Holly wandering through the cabin with her penguin feet because the pants I gave her were about a mile too long...and it didn't bother her at all!

Bright jumping out of the car with her carsick bag and running across the parking lot laughing and showing everyone that she threw up in the car...kind of gross, totally funny and VERY Bright! I wanted to suggest she bring it to her classroom for "Show and Tell"...but I restrained myself :)

Realizing how far we all have come together and how much easier all our trips are now that the girls are starting to understand how important they are to making them work!

As I made this list in my mind I realized that there isn't a single girl on the trip who wasn't involved in one way or another in many of these memories. And those who got left off a specific memory, it's because they were moving so fast that their faces are blurry in every snapshot I have of them in my mind. I went into this trip really exhausted from all the details and how complicated the logistics of this one were...it just didn't feel worth it...and I came out of it loving my Scouts and realizing again that although "it" might not be worth it...They are definitely worth it. And I really can't ask for more than that!

0 comments:

Post a Comment